Size Discrimination

When I say size discrimination, I'm sure different things come to different people's minds. Because of this, I'm linking what Sizeism is.

Sizeism is not just for fat people. (I will focus on that though, seeing it is the form of sizeism I personally experience.) Sizeism can be against people of any size outside of "normal." If you are too fat, too tall, too short, too thin... too anything besides average, you have probably experienced a form of size discrimination against you. Size discrimination includes stereotypes that are seemingly ingrained into society as a whole. For instance, the idea that all fat people are lazy or gluttonous or that naturally thin people starve themselves. The idea that fat people are automatically unhealthy and thin people are all healthy is because of size discrimination.

Size discrimination can also come in forms of hazing or harassment. It's the comments about you just for existing in the public eye. The laughter. The people throwing things at you while also making comments. Take a moment to let that sink in, some people are physically assaulted because of their size. These are serious problems, because it puts people's safety and mental well-being at risk.

I've recently noticed people claiming stores that don't cater to their sizes are discriminatory. And let me just tell you, that's bullshit. To put this into perspective, I am (in certain communities) a "superfat." This isn't a bad term, in general this term merely means I am above a size 22/24. I am on the smaller side of the superfat/SSBBW (super sized big beautiful woman) scale, but I am on the larger side of the plus size scale (sizes 12+). What does all of this mean? Nothing except I have to be mindful of where I shop for clothing. Would I love for more places to carry my and larger sizes? Absolutely! BUT:

If a store doesn't carry my size... there's literally nothing after that. They just don't carry my size. This isn't them discriminating against me, it's just business. They aren't saying anything about my fat body, they aren't attacking me, they merely don't carry my size. And that's okay, because I as a consumer get to take my money elsewhere. Someone not bending to your will is not discrimination, discrimination is them treating you poorly because of your size. 



I recently came across a post about Tiffany & Co being size discriminatory, because they don't carry above a ring size 8. The exact quote was this "Tiffany & Co. is saying by not making rings above a size 8 is that they don't want their pretty rings on fat fingers. Really, Tiffany & Co.? It's almost 2016. Get your act together and stop discriminating against plus size babes!"  Again, I call bullshit. TIffany & Co have released no statements against people above a ring size 8 (which for the record, not only fat women have a ring size above 8). They haven't discriminated against anything. They have merely chosen their market and cater to them. This is not discrimination in any form. 

This was my face reading that aforementioned article.
In light of these absolutely preposterous claims, I have a solution:

If you want to be treated as equals, no matter your size, demand equality. Don't try to shall we say, cry wolf, at every little thing that doesn't go your way. Don't accept poor treatment... also don't go looking for it.

A company doesn't carry your size? Give your money to a company who does, or even reach out to a company with your idea of them expanding their sizes. Maybe even ask multiple people, who have the same feelings as you, respectfully reach out to the company. Without demand there will never be any supply, but you have to remember you are dealing with businesses; not going to war because your feelings are hurt that you can't shop somewhere. 





Simple really.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plus Size Shopping

My Mirena IUD Experience- Deciding Which IUD was Right for Me

High School- A fat girls experience.